If you ride a motorcycle, it’s important to know how to deal with a crash. After all, the moments following a motorcycle accident are crucial. What you do can impact your safety as well as your legal rights.
Here are some of the steps you should take to protect yourself if you ever get hit by a negligent driver. These steps will help ensure that you’ll be able to get a fair settlement for your injuries and other expenses. Don’t worry if you can’t follow all of them, our attorneys will still assist you to the best of our ability.
- Call 911: Law enforcement must be contacted after an accident in most states. Stay at the scene until they arrive and be sure to request a police report. It can be referenced later when building your case. If anyone is seriously injured, ask for medical help first. Prioritize the health and safety of everyone involved in the crash.
- Collect insurance and contact information: It’s easier to get all the information you need at the scene than to track down the other parties later. Get the driver’s name, phone number, and insurance details. Ask any witnesses for their names and phone numbers as well.
- Take photos: If possible, take photos of the accident and your injuries. They may be useful later when dealing with the insurance company, determining liability, and potentially filing a lawsuit.
- Watch what you say: It’s human nature to apologize when something bad happens. However, you shouldn’t say sorry to the other driver or admit fault. Don’t downplay your injuries, speculate about liability, or make any other statements that could be used against you.
- Visit a doctor: If you didn’t visit a hospital or need medical attention at the scene, you should make an appointment with a doctor as soon as possible. It’s always a good idea to get checked out by a professional, even if you don’t think you were hurt. A doctor will examine you for injuries and help you monitor any painful delayed symptoms that you may experience.
- Contact our motorcycle law experts: Make sure to call our motorcycle accident lawyers at your earliest convenience. We can protect you from predatory insurance companies that may seek to delay, devalue, or deny your claim. If necessary, we can take your case to trial.
Schedule a Free Motorcycle Accident Consultation
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a careless driver, our attorneys can help you get justice and compensation. Call 770-888-8901 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation. The Law Offices of Humberto Izquierdo, Jr., PC welcomes clients from throughout Georgia, including Atlanta and Marietta.