You may be entitled to compensation if you were injured in a car accident caused by a negligent driver. However, your actions can limit the amount you recover or prevent you from receiving any money at all. Here are the top mistakes you should avoid in your car accident claim:
- Forgetting to collect evidence: Evidence is crucial in car accident cases. The more evidence you can provide, the better your chances of getting a favorable result. Take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. Collect contact information from any witnesses. If a police report was filed, request a copy of that, as well.
- Skipping medical treatment: It is difficult to prove that you were injured if you lack the medical records to back up your claim. That is why you should always seek medical treatment after a car accident, even if you feel fine. If you need additional care, be sure to request documentation from your doctor to show the ongoing impact of the accident.
- Underestimating your damages: Many people are so focused on getting reimbursed for their current medical expenses that they forget about other damages. Things like future medical costs, lost wages, home modifications, and pain and suffering should not be overlooked when calculating how much money you truly deserve.
- Accepting the first settlement offer: A car accident can ruin your finances. You may feel pressured to take the first settlement offer that comes your way. However, there is a good chance that the amount will not be fair or adequate. It is okay to keep negotiating.
- Letting the clock run out: There is a limited window in which you can file a car accident lawsuit. This window is called the statute of limitations. If you miss it, you may lose your only chance to take legal action. In Georgia, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is typically two years from the date of the accident.
Contact our Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys Today
At the Law Offices of Humberto Izquierdo, Jr., PC, we are committed to getting the maximum compensation you deserve. Get started by calling 770-888-8901 for a free case review with our experienced attorneys. We proudly represent clients from Atlanta, Marietta, Cumming, and nearby areas of Georgia.