As Atlanta is hit with snow, wind, and rain, driving conditions become hazardous. The risk of being involved in a serious truck accident rises sharply whenever there is snow, ice, or rain on the road, so it is extremely important to exercise caution when driving anywhere.
If you are injured in a crash with a semi truck or tractor trailer, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries as well as other expenses. It is vital to contact an experienced trucking accident attorney to help you obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
If you have been injured in a semi truck accident, don't hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Humberto Izquierdo, Jr., PC at 770-999-9015 today for your free legal consultation.
Types of Trucking Accidents in Winter
Ice on the road can be incredibly dangerous, as it greatly increases the amount of time necessary to stop. It also increases the chances of losing control of a vehicle. Some of the most common semi truck accidents in the winter include:
- Jackknifing: When the cab and trailer of a truck fold towards one another. This type of accident is often caused by the cab skidding, which in turn causes the trailer to push forward while the cab goes backwards.
- Rear-ending: When conditions are icy, it is difficult if not impossible to stop in a timely manner. If a semi truck is going too fast on the ice, it may hit the car in front if it stops or slows unexpectedly.
- Rollovers: Icy conditions increase the risk of a large truck rolling over when trying to make a turn.
Any of these accidents can be catastrophic or even fatal for not only the truck driver, but the occupants of any passenger vehicle involved. While you can lower your risk of being in a crash with a tractor trailer by being aware and driving cautiously, it is virtually impossible to eliminate the risk entirely.
Who Is At Fault In A Winter Weather Collision?
Truck drivers and their insurance may try to blame the weather for their accident to avoid large payouts to any injured parties. However, commercial truck drivers have a responsibility to act cautiously and drive with extreme care when conditions are bad.
Humberto Izquierdo is well versed in all the strategies insurance companies will use when trying to deny or devalue winter weather collision claims, and he will do everything in his power to fight them and get you the full value of your claim.
In addition, there may be other parties besides the semi truck driver at fault, which could potentially increase your possible damages. At-fault parties in a commercial truck crash can include:
- The driver, for negligence
- The trucking company, for poor training or hiring practices
- The truck maintenance company, for improper maintenance
- The truck manufacturer, for faulty equipment
A personal injury lawyer with experience handling tractor trailer accidents is necessary to help you navigate a potentially complex legal situation and get you the compensation you need and deserve.
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident with a tractor trailer, please call Humberto Izquierdo at 770-999-9015 for your free, no-obligation legal consultation. Our lawyers and staff are bilingual in Spanish and English, and will be happy to assist you in either language. We serve clients in Atlanta, Marietta, Cumming, and other nearby areas of Georgia.