Boating is a popular recreational activity in Georgia. Our boaters have access to over 400,000 acres of lakes and reservoirs and can also choose to sail off the coast. But safety is a huge concern whenever it comes to the public usage of a large body of water.
Boating accidents are all too common in our state. These accidents can have significant consequences and often result in serious injury or death.
At the Law Offices of Humberto Izquierdo, Jr., PC, we navigate complex boating cases to pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries and property damage. Call us at 770-888-8901 today to discuss your boat accident claim for free. Our bilingual staff serves Atlanta, Marietta, Cumming, and nearby areas of Georgia.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
Numerous circumstances can lead to a boating accident, many of which are similar to the causes of auto accidents, such as:
- Careless or reckless driving
- Aggressive driving
- Excessive speed
- Inexperience of operators
- Violation of navigational rules
- Boating under the influence
- Failing to maintain a lookout
- Bad weather conditions
It is important to take precautions as a boat operator or passenger to help minimize your risk of an accident or injury. However, even the most cautious boaters are not safe from someone else’s careless actions.
Consequences of Boat Accidents
Boating accidents are often life-altering. Since they involve large moving objects on the water, these accidents can have consequences such as:
- Propeller injuries including lacerations, disfigurement, or dismemberment
- Run-over injuries including traumatic brain injuries, spinal injuries, and wrongful death
- Collision injuries including whiplash
Boating accidents also frequently result in property damage to costly watercraft. It is important to work with an attorney to pursue justice and compensation after a boating accident.
Boating Accident Liability
You must prove that someone else’s negligence caused your boating accident injury in order to recover damages from that person. Be aware that negligence claims can work differently depending on the type of boating accident. Our attorneys know how to handle collisions with other boats, wake and wave accidents, and collisions with a submerged object or the land.
In general, it is possible to sue the following parties for negligence:
- The owner of the boat
- The rental company
- Other passengers
- Entities responsible for maintaining the waterway
- The manufacturing company in the case of a defective boat
Damages Available in a Boating Injury Lawsuit
You are entitled to damages if you were injured in a boating accident caused by negligence. Your damages may cover the value of your:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Insurance coverage can also play a role in your case. Our attorneys will look into the other party’s boater’s insurance, homeowner’s insurance, and assets to determine how they will pay your damages.
Building Your Boating Accident Case
Boating accidents tend to involve some special laws and principles. These accidents are often governed by federal maritime law though they can fall within the state’s jurisdiction. Our attorneys can determine where you should file your lawsuit.
You can also expect our boating accident attorneys to:
- Document: We will gather records related to your claim to evaluate the extent of your injury and property damage. This allows us to build a strong case for compensation.
- Investigate: We will investigate the circumstances surrounding your accident. We will gather the necessary evidence to support your case.
- Negotiate: We will negotiate with the defense to seek the compensation that you deserve. If we do not reach a satisfactory agreement during settlement negotiations, we are prepared to go to trial.
Lake Lanier Boating Accidents
Lake Lanier is one of the most popular destinations for boating in the southeast and sees several million visitors annually. Unfortunately, it is also a common site of boating accidents. 57 boating fatalities occurred at Lanier from 1999-2018, according to The Law Enforcement Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
Our attorneys handle accidents on Lake Lanier and other frequently visited lakes such as Allatoona, Oconee, and Sinclair. Contact us if you or a loved one has been injured boating on one of these Georgia lakes or another waterway.
Contact Our Atlanta Boating Accident Attorneys for Free
Our boating accident attorneys will protect your rights and fight for a successful outcome in your case. Call us today at 770-888-8901 to schedule your free initial consultation. We will explain the merits of your claim and discuss potential next steps. The Law Offices of Humberto Izquierdo, Jr., PC serves Atlanta, Marietta, Cumming, and nearby areas of Georgia.